Aromatherapy: A therapy for the mind, body and soul
In the daily hum-drum of life and the tedious monotony, the time that we get to allot for self-healing decreases. And this takes a toll on our health not only physically but also mentally. And when your mind and body are both sick, it will show on your face and your skin. To provide relief from all of these and posing as a single solution for all, an ancient technique called “Aromatherapy” is receiving the limelight.
“Healing begins with an aromatic bath and daily massage.”
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy makes use of natural essential oils which are aromatic in nature and are made up of natural ingredients which have therapeutic benefits. These fragrant essential oils can make one relax, alleviate stress and simultaneously cleanse the body in and out.
How does it work?
Aromatherapy is a coinage that came into the light only around the 1960s. But it finds its root in our ancient scriptures of Ayurveda. Even Egyptians and Romans performed this technique as medicinal treatments. Aromatherapy makes use of plants and their parts from which the fragrant essential oil is extracted. The fragrance or aroma is potent enough to stimulate the nerves in our body and lighten up the brain cells. It leads to the release of necessary hormones like endorphins which make you feel relaxed and energized.
How to use essential oils?
Modern aromatherapy primarily proceeds with the application of essential oils as massage or by inhalation only. Massage not only allows your skin to come in contact with all the wellness of the essential oil, but it also stimulates the release of toxins in your bloodstream, which later gets filtered out of your body. Inhalation of the fragrance, on the other hand, helps with nerve stimulation which, as explained earlier, can help you with leading a better life.
Benefits of aromatherapy
- Helps with pain management as many oils are analgesic in nature
- Reduces stress and tension
- Relaxant treats sore body parts
- Very good for treating Migraine
- Antibacterial properties of the essential oil prevent the growth of pathogens on your skin
- Improves overall quality of life
Some Essential oils and their benefits
- Lavender Oil – With its captivating smell, it helps relieve stress and treats insomnia. It heals burns and other skin related problems. Due to its antiseptic and calming properties, the lavender essential oil is the most versatile of all. A few drops of this oil mixed with milk or bath salt and then poured into bath water can help treat inflamed skin. A few drops of it can also be combined with coconut oil and massaged on the skin.
- Rosemary Oil -Its herbal scent can make one feel relaxed, and when this essential oil is applied using the fingers, it improves blood circulation. It can also cure dandruff and treat arthritis. The best mode of application is when a few drops of this oil is mixed with coconut oil and then massaged onto the skin. It quickly gets absorbed and provides immediate relief.
- Sandalwood Oil -This oil that hails from our rich south has proven its ability to cure throat infections and treat mood swings. It also has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that make it highly versatile. A few drops can be put on a diffuser or applied on a glowing bulb. As the bulb heats up, the oil gets diffused into the air. It helps in better inhalation of this fragrant oil.
- Peppermint Oil -With its unique minty profile, it is well known for its ability to treat headaches. This ability makes it one of the popular oils for providing immediate relief to people suffering from migraine attacks, cold and cough. It can also alleviate mental fatigue. The best way to make use of this oil is to pour a few drops on a cloth or handkerchief. Then the oil should be inhaled periodically. This oil can be mixed with coconut oil and then applied on the forehead to relieve pain as well.
A note of caution
Something important to note is that these essential oils should never be used neat on the skin. They should be diluted in coconut oil and then applied. Also, it is recommended that none of these oils is ingested until a physician advises so. Apart from the oils mentioned above, there are many more oils with unique properties that can be utilized. With their proven abilities and easy application, these essential oils can be easily accommodated in daily life. They can provide much-required relief and relaxation from the hustle of everyday life.